Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Trails to You

Saturday morning we yawned and stretched, and loaded up on cereal, toast and peanut butter and then jumped on the bikes for a trip to Cortland. Our friend David Hefley told Brian he would catch up with us and about 10 miles into the ride we looked back to see him racing toward us. I always thought that I liked trail riding best because the highway is hilly, or because I was afraid of getting hit by a semi. Saturday I learned that I like trail riding best because there are a lot of interesting things to see on the trail.

On Highway 77 between Lincoln and Cortland (40 miles round trip) there was a lot of road kill, a limited amount of property, one man-made lake with people fishing, a LOT of road kill, the hood ornament from a newer Toyota, a slew of motorcycles, and some other cyclists to wave at. On the trails there are runners, walkers, all size and variety of dog, pretty yards, funny yards, memorial sculptures, little league games and neighborhood parks. Having lots of things to see and familiar landmarks helps the ride to go quickly for me. I suspect that if I rode the same stretch of highway regularly I would learn to like the familiarity and develop landmarks, but the road kill appearance and stench would likely do me in over time. We'll try some more highway riding this summer, but I think deep down I'm really a trail rat.

Sunday we took the dogs for long walks but didn't ride and yesterday, early in the morning, we did the quick 6 up to Shopko. Tonight is all about mowing yards so the next ride will be Wednesday. Hope this finds everyone with all their fingers and toes!

No comments:

Post a Comment