Friday, June 10, 2011

Home of the Huskers

Yesterday when I left the house I wasn't sure how far I would ride. I wanted to get in at least 16 miles but I figured I would play the rest by ear. Saturday we are riding one of the routes for Trail Trek so I wanted to see how we would get to Haymarket Park from our house. I rode down the Rock Island Trail to the zoo, made my way around trail construction on Capitol Parkway, passed Lincoln High (Go Links!) said hi to Mr. Clark and got onto the new Antelope Valley Trail. From there I rode through downtown and decided to take the turn for Memorial Stadium, since we already know where Antelope Valley ends from last weeks ride. With the construction projects I decided I had gone far enough and went back without finding the connection. There weren't many bikes on the Antelope Valley Trail and I have to admit, I was surprised at the number of people who were in the area but not on the trail.

On the ride back I was getting pretty tired so I'll have to make sure and take along nutrition for solo rides over 12 miles from now on. I rode 17 miles in 1 hour and 45 minutes with breaks (Brian's bike computer gives fancier information than mine does!). Maybe most interesting, on the ride back, in the pedestrian lane of the O Street Bridge I saw a man dressed as a beetle. I didn't get close enough to find out what they were doing, I'm suspicious it was related to Lincoln's protected Salt Creek Beetle.

Today I'm planning to rest up for tomorrow's ride. So far I have ridden 45 miles this week =)

No comments:

Post a Comment