Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sad day for cyclists

When I started getting into cycling heavier, I started "hitting" some cycling community sites. One of my favorites was the "Clydesdales/Athenas" forum on BikeForums. Right off the bat one of my favorite submitters was Ben Dinger, of Lincoln. Ben also who has a blog Chubby Super Biker Ben has several links on his blog roll. One of them is for Fatty or Fat Cyclist. Fatty has captivated the cycling world lately. His wife Susan has been battling a very long, very hard case of Breast Cancer. Fatty (his real name is Elden), responded by not only supporting Susan, but also raising money for the Livestrong foundation. As of last posting he had raised $500,000 for the fight against cancer!!! Yes, you read that correctly, and yes I typed it correctly! To show you how much publicity Fatty has been getting lately, Lance Armstorng has tweeted about him on a regular basis for the past several months, and cyclingnews (the Wall Street Journal of cycling) had an article about one of Fatty's fundraisers earlier this week.

Ok, now that you have some background, here's why I'm writing this. Susan passed away yesterday (August 5th) at 7:25pm. Christi and I have both been deeply touched by Susan's passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Elden!!!! While we've never met your blog updates have touched both of us in ways that are hard to comprehend.

Please go to his website and read their story. I will warn you though, if you do, make sure you have a box of Kleenex nearby, because you're going to need it.

In closing I want to leave you with two thoughts:

1. LIVESTRONG

2. FIGHT LIKE SUSAN





No comments:

Post a Comment