Monday, June 16, 2014

Rollin to Colon Recap

It was a VERY busy weekend at our house! Friday after work I walked the dogs to get Erik's car from the shop and did a bunch of food prep. Brian's parents came over for a lovely Father's Day picnic and then Brian and I got groceries and went to bed early. Saturday morning I did the Quarter Century Gravel Ride for ALS. I'm not going to lie - I HATE wind training so I generally avoid it. Saturday when we got ready the wind was out of the south at 24 mph with 60 mph gusts. There were a few times I thought my bike and I were going to eat gravel. I pushed all the way to the turnaround (12.5 miles in 1 hour 30 minutes) and then raced back in under 40 minutes. We had a yummy pulled pork lunch and LOTS of water and spent the rest of the day getting Brian ready for camp. Sunday morning Brian got ready to go and I headed to Valley, Nebraska - about an hour from home - for the Rollin to Colon ride. I was registered for 20 but was seriously considering dropping to the 10 mile ride. When I got to the start there were TONS of people and donuts - so I decided I was all in for the 20! The first 5 miles were nice and flat, and gorgeous. The first hill getting into the 20 was a KILLER. The serious cyclists ahead of me were struggling - I dropped into low gear and crawled all the way to the top. After that I had a short flat stretch to catch my breath and then it was 4 miles of non-stop hills - and I wouldn't call them "rolling". About a mile from the turnaround I had to convince myself that it would be easier on the way back, that I had come too far to stop, and if I turned around early everyone would see me. The last hill stole my breath, and I was passed by more than one person, but I made it to the top for a banana and a granola bar and a Dixie cup of Gatorade before jumping on my bike to get back. The ride out took an hour and the ride back was done in 40 minutes - so the downhill’s were AMAZING on the way back. After stowing my bike and gear I got lunch from Firehouse subs and drove back to Lincoln. I killed three water bottles and half a soda on the way back. Since I was still plenty sweaty I delivered the neighborhood newsletters, walked the dogs to pay the cable bill and then spent the rest of the day getting ready for dinner, cleaning house and watching television.

No comments:

Post a Comment