Monday, May 5, 2014

My First Half Marathon

I officially survived my first half marathon. My official time was 3 hours 7 minutes - so not as fast as I was expecting. My 5k and 10k times were good and consistent and close to my other 5k times. I think I may have been slower at the end since I had only done a few long runs. Sunday also marked my first running blister(s) on the ball of my right foot. While I remember a lot of things about the route I confess there are things that I don't recall about the last few miles.


I learned that my running iPod is only good for 2 hours and 15 minutes but I was able to switch over to my backup and keep running.  While I had originally planned to be a one and done, I am going to run again next year - for two reasons - 1) to beat my time - I want to finish in 2 hours and 40 minutes (or less) and 2) because it was AMAZING.  While the pain in my quads today is pretty intense, and my shoe choices are limited because of the blisters I loved the experience, the route and the people.  Next year as part of training I will plan to run country club hill until I can make it to the top =)


The hardest part was the rest days.  Thursday I got off REALLY late and then met my mom for Fiddler on the Roof.  By the time I got home it was WAY past my bedtime so I hit the sack and did my last 2 mile run on Friday.  Saturday I took the dogs for a walk but otherwise lazed around.  The hours passed slowly, I was bored with the television and I have never been so tired of eating.


Brian was FANTASTIC - I could not have had more support - he got me dropped off, made sure Erik was at the first stop, had my mom and Roger prepared for me, gave me a hug and kiss at the 9th mile, and met me at the finish with a smoothie.  He ended up parked about half a mile from the end of the race but it was good to get those extra steps in.  I had so much help and support along the way with my new co-worker Tracie and my dear friend Vicki.  It was a great day and I am excited to do it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment